Estate Planning And Business Law In Napa Valley And Beyond

Q: Is it true that my mother’s estate, which was rather modest, will not require a full probate because of its relatively small value?

A: That's right! California law allows for a simpler process to transfer personal property for estates that fall under a certain value threshold (currently $184,500), making it quicker and easier for heirs to receive their inheritance, and without having to go through...

read more

Q: My uncle died and his estate needs to go through probate. He did not have a Will. Who will receive the assets of his estate at the end of the probate?

A: Your uncle's estate is considered intestate because he died without a Will. California's laws of intestate succession will be applied to determine the heirs of his estate. If he was married and had children, his spouse and children would be the heirs of his estate....

read more

Q: My child will be 18 soon, but I do not feel like he is ready to manage an inheritance well if my spouse and I pass unexpectedly in the near future. How can this be addressed in our estate plan?

A: This is a common concern and it can be addressed well with proper estate planning. When you and your spouse create a trust, you will choose at what age or ages your child will receive the assets of the trust after you have passed away. You will also nominate a...

read more