Q: In my original trust, I included a $10,000 cash gift to my nephew, but now I want to write him out. If I pass away, will he ever find out that I had included him but then changed my mind?

by | Oct 6, 2021 | Estate Planning, Q&A |

A: It depends! If you merely amend that distribution section to eliminate him from your trust, then by law he will be entitled to a copy of both the original trust and the amendment.  However, to avoid this scenario, we often counsel clients in similar situations to “restate” their trust entirely, which means that your nephew will not be entitled to ANY copies of your trust or estate planning documents upon your death, and he will therefore never know about being taken out. This decreases the likelihood that your other beneficiaries will face any disputes, claims or lawsuits from the nephew!

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to reach out to us 707-681-5851 or [email protected]) or set up a complimentary consultation at your convenience by clicking on the following link: https://MyNapaLawyer.as.me/