Q: My son recently turned 18. Are there any legal documents that would be useful for him to put in place?

by | Jun 1, 2022 | Estate Planning, Q&A |

A: Yes! We typically recommend young adults execute a Durable Power of Attorney, Advance Health Care Directive, and HIPPA Waiver. Since your son is now legally an adult, you no longer have authority to act on his behalf in the event of an emergency or otherwise. He needs to execute the appropriate documents if he wants you to be able to assist him with financial and medical issues. Some young adult clients choose to give their parents (or other responsible adults in their lives) authority to act only if they have lost capacity and cannot make their own decisions, while others choose to give their parents immediate authority so that they have more assistance while they adjust to life as an adult. We are happy to discuss all of the options with your son during a complimentary consultation.