Q: I have a trust in California, but I also own property in another state. Can you my out-of-state property be included in my California trust?

by | Jul 6, 2022 | Estate Planning, Q&A |

A: Yes! You can transfer your out-of-state property to yourself as trustee of your California trust. By doing so, you will ensure that it will be administered under the terms of the trust that you have carefully considered and created. Failing to transfer your out-of-state property to your California trust could mean that the property will be required to go through probate in the other state before being transferred to your family or loved ones. A qualified California estate planning attorney can guide you in funding your trust so that all of your assets are distributed as you wish and the additional time and expense of an unnecessary probate for your out-of-state property is avoided.